It is not clear what led to the increase of the said sum by N747,000 given that the EFCC had initially announced the discovery of N448,850,000 but was now asking for the forfeiture of N449,597,000.
The three-man investigative committee set up by President Muhammadu Buhari to probe the Secretary to the Government of the Federation, SGF, Babachir Lawal, and the Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency, NIA, Ayo Oke, will on Monday submit its report to the President.
The funds were reportedly disbursed in two cash withdrawals between November 2014 and February, 2015 and were ferried in bullion vans to unknown destinations.
A total of N18 million, $19,000 and 4,000 Saudi riyals was recovered from the Abuja residence of former Governor of Gombe State and current member of the Senate, Danjuma Goje.
The funds were approved for NIA’s ‘covert operations’ by President Goodluck Jonathan and subsequently withdrawn in cash from NAPIMS account with the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.
The organization noted that there was no doubt that the aim of the policy was steadily being achieved with the involvement of Nigerians.
Buhari directed that the “most senior Permanent Secretary in the SGF’s office, and the most senior officer in the NIA, are to act, respectively, during the period of investigation.”
Director General of the NIA, Ayodele Oke, had said that the money, valued at N13 billion going by the current official exchange rate, had been released in cash by the CBN in order to maintain the discreet nature of the assignment for which it was approved.
“It is impossible, probably treasonable, that a security agency will be carrying out covert operations without the knowledge of the sitting president and commander-in-chief of the armed forces.”
The Rivers State governor insisted that the money should be returned to the Rivers State government within seven days or the state will take the matter to court.