Suicide Bomb Attack Kills Seven In Borno

Three Suicide Bomb Attacks Kill Five In Maiduguri


Suicide bomb attacks are becoming regular occurrences in Borno State, the hot bed of the Boko Haram insurgency that has ravished a major part of the North East region of Nigeria.

The recent attack occurred at Mandarari ward in Konduga Local Government Area of the state on Thursday night, claiming the lives of seven people, including the two attackers.

A spokesman of the Borno State Police Command, Murtala Ibrahim, made this known in a statement issued on Friday in Maiduguri.

The statement read: “Yesterday at about 22.45 hours, two suspected female suicide bombers detonated explosives strapped to their bodies at Mandarari ward in Konduga LGA, killing themselves and five others.

Read this also:  Evans needs TB Joshua's deliverance, says father

“Six persons sustained various degrees of injuries.

“The corpses and injured persons were evacuated to General Hospital Konduga, and normalcy restored to the area.”

This is coming barely 24 hours after security operatives announced that three suspected female suicide bombers were killed after they attempted to attack a military outpost near Muna garage in the outskirt of Maiduguri.

Last week, during a monthly update on security situation across the nation, the Nigerian military assured citizens that there was no resurgence in the Boko Haram insurgency, insisting that security operatives were on top of the issue.

Read this also:  20 rights groups sue FG over 'secret' concession of PH refinery

Spokesman of the Defence headquarters revealed that there had been a change of strategy in the counter-insurgency operation in order to address the rising incidences of suicide bombings.

“The general public has a feeling which I have been made to understand that there seems to be like there is resurgence of the Boko Haram activities in the North-east, particularly in Borno State. I stand here this morning to tell you categorically that it is not true,” said John Enenche, Director of information, Nigerian Defence Headquarters.

“The apprehension from the public is becoming much from the dossier I get, but I am assuring them that the new tactics adopted by the military in eliminating the terrorists is working.

Read this also:  Nobody is above ICPC investigation, court rules

“It is not that we have become docile or dormant, no.”