A 31 year old repentant Boko Haram insurgent, Muhammad Abubakar, has revealed that his plan to quit fighting in Sambisa and surrender to Nigerian troops was the reason why his hand and leg were cut off by leaders of the group.
Abubakar disclosed this to newsmen in Maiduguri on Thursday during a briefing organised by the Theartre Commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Lucky Irabo, a Major-General, to give update on ‘Operation Rescue Finale’.
Abubakar said he was punished because of his decision to renounce his membership of the group and embrace peace.
He said: “I had told a friend, Hassan Dan-Guduma, that I was going to surrender as the movement had no meaning to me anymore.
“Hassan Dan-Guduma initially bought my idea but later betrayed me. Shortly after our discussion, he went and came back with three others whom I am sure he must have told them about our plan to surrender.
“They said I was planing to expose them to the Nigerian Government, so they did all this to me.
“After they chopped off my right hand and left leg, they threw me into a culvert where I was left struggling, until soldiers came and rescued me.
“All I can say is that all we had been told by Boko Haram leaders were lies and misleading. I never joined them to kill anyone.”
The Theartre Commander, Irabor said Abubakar was still undergoing interrogation.
“You can see what they did to one of their own because he decided to quit,” Irabor said.